- The J. J. Keller's Master Driver: Coupling & Uncoupling eLearning course covers the following topic:
- Safe coupling and uncoupling of singles
- An overview for coupling and uncoupling doubles
- Emphasizes areas where most coupling and uncoupling problems occur
- The course keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros.
- Copyright Date: 2010 (Rev. 8/13)
When starting or ending a run, it may be tempting for drivers to think nothing can happen. That's a big mistake. Coupling and uncoupling incidents can be devastating. Drivers must stay aware and take a few extra - yet critical - precautions when hooking up or unhooking their rigs.
- Introduction – Explains that coupling & uncoupling errors are 100 percent preventable, that there's no excuse for a trained driver to make a mistake if they follow a step-by-step process that every CMV driver is required to know.
- Coupling Guidelines – Reviews in detail a basic 16-step process and recommends following it (or a similar process), so that no critical point is missed.
- Uncoupling – Reviews the 12 basic steps for the uncoupling process.
- Coupling Twin Trailers – Reviews the 5 key steps to coupling twin trailers.
- Uncoupling Twin Trailers – Discusses that uncoupling a twin trailer is virtually the same as uncoupling a single tractor-trailer, with a few exceptions, and how to do so.
- Conclusion – Emphasizes that coupling & uncoupling are things a CMV driver should know so well they can do them automatically, while acknowledging the process is so critical that drivers need to think about each step along the way.
Approximately 45 minutes