CSA, which stands for Compliance, Safety, Accountability, is a driver and carrier monitoring and evaluation system that is designed to identify and intervene with drivers and carriers who are not in compliance with safety regulations. Both drivers and motor carriers are evaluated and scored using this methodology.
Simply put, CSA is a system used by the FMCSA to identify safety problems early so that they can be addressed before they lead to tragedies on the highway.
FMCSA does not require CSA training, but it is a wise best practice to keep drivers alert to new requirements placed on them by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and expectations placed on them by the motor carrier.
- The J. J. Keller CSA: Know the BASICs online course covers the following topics:
- CSA Program Overview
- Compliance, Safety, Accountability
- Four Components of CSA
- Data Collection
- Roadside Inspections
- Safety Evaluation
- The Seven BASICs
- Data Processing
- Severity and Time Weighting
- BASIC Score
- The BASICs
- Unsafe Driving BASIC
- Hours-of-Service Compliance BASIC
- Driver Fitness BASIC
- Controlled Substances and Alcohol BASIC
- Vehicle Maintenance BASIC
- Hazardous Materials Compliance BASIC
- Crash Indicator BASIC
- FMCSA Interventions
- Types of Interventions
- Driver Responsibilities
- Actions Against Drivers
- After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and goals of the CSA program.
- Describe how safety data is collected, measured, and evaluated under the program.
- List the seven BASICs and how violations get placed into each.
- Explain strategies for keeping BASIC scores low and avoiding FMCSA interventions.
- Intended Audience: Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) applies to motor carriers that have a USDOT number and operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as defined in §390.5 in interstate commerce or have placarded hazmat in intrastate commerce. Drivers of these vehicles are also subject to the new enforcement model.
- Length: 60 minutes
- Regs Covered: 49 CFR §390.5
- Copyright Date: 2013 (Rev. 11/14, 2/18)
Interested in a license to use J. J. Keller content on your LMS?
For a quote to use this training on your learning management system, contact us at email@example.com or 1-800-327-6868. Learn more.